There hasn’t been a news round-up in some time, so there’s a lot to catch up on:
- No need to travel to Munich this year because there will be a Toronto Oktoberfest happening for two nights at the St Lawrence Market North Building. There will be an eclectic mix of beers, including Creemore, Weihenstephan and De Koninck.
- Bellwoods Brewery are having another pop-up retail store this Friday (Aug 31) from 3-6pm. If you haven’t been recently for the Monogamy (Summit) Pale Ale, go down and have a pint. Mighty tasty stuff.
- Couple of newspaper articles. One is from the National Post, “Inside the Niagara College Teaching Brewery.” The other is about a month old from the Toronto Star about the “Swansea Homebrew Club.” Not really about home brews – more about the industry and Corey Mintz getting drunk – but every little bit helps. Right?
- Great Lakes have announced they are making a collaboration beer with Phillips Brewing from Victoria, BC. The beer will be brewed in BC, but hopefully some bottles or kegs will find a way to sneak back to this province.
- Thanks to Mom and Hops for pointing out two new breweries coming to Ontario, the Liberty Village Brewing Company and Side Launch. Head over to Mom and Hops to read the full interview with Liberty Village and find out all you need to know about the latest brewery planned for Toronto. They also have details on the projected opening of Side Launch in Collingwood by 2014. (Also, this means another two ticks in the old 2012 Predictions.)
- Beau’s will have their NightMarzen back in the LCBO in a week or two, followed by the Weiss-O-Lantern, a pumpkin weiss that will be part of the Halloween release.
- Amsterdam have released a relative of their Tempest (maybe a cousin or a half-sibling) called Calm Before the Storm that is currently on sale at the brewery. The Amsterdam blog has all the details on how the beer came to be. This is the latest beer released in their Adventure Brews series.
- I missed the boat in telling you about a couple of beer dinners, but there’s still time to get tickets for the Canadian Beer News Dinner Series featuring Wellington at the Grove. It’s happening on Tuesday, September 18th during Toronto Beer Week. Full details from CBN.